Time
How much time do you have? If you are like me then sometimes you don’t have enough and other times you have too much. Recently I have taken over the duties of picking up our kids after school. I find myself sometimes running late and driving too fast hoping to get there on time. Other times I am arriving way too early and wishing the second hand on my watch would speed up on its little journey in circles. It’s a vicious cycle. Regardless of which situation I am in, the clock keeps on ticking at the same speed. Without fail it moves forward and never looks back. It surely isn’t concerned with my needs at that moment in time.
Time is of great importance. How many dates in time stick out in your mind such as birthdays, anniversaries or maybe the date that you became a believer in our Lord Jesus? How important are those dates to you? They are very important to my wife. She reminds me of all the important dates since she knows I probably would forget. She is like my personal calendar. Some of them I don’t get a direct reminder but rather hints that should trigger it in my consciousness (it doesn’t always work…working on that honey!).
Time is of great value. For those who have lost a loved one, what would you give for a few more moments to spend with them? I know as a parent I would love to go back and get to spend more time with my kids when they were little babies and squeeze their fat little cheeks. I would love to hold them and rock them just once more but time moves forward.
What does God think about time? I think time is important to God. It is the only conclusion we can come to if we study His word. God had and has a set time for everything. I have often heard it said “God has perfect timing”. I believe this to be true because I know God is the master of time. We are bound by time where God is not.
Let’s dig a little deeper and think about God, time and our lives. Do we use our time wisely? Jesus is the best measuring stick we can use so let’s do so. Jesus spent His time with His disciples teaching them. He spent His time with the sick, poor and less fortunate giving them hope and healing.
It was just the other day, when I thought about Jesus and time. I found myself watching the second hand of a clock make its way around. With each tick, I realized that I was that much closer to my end here on earth and it was another moment that was not spent wisely. I had let that moment go and what of it? Would it be a moment that I would remember years later? Or would it join the countless others that were simply ‘unused’. I found it to be an extremely disturbing thought. How many ticks of the clock would I have to account for before Jesus? It scared me to think about it.
Another aspect of time is when we say “I don’t have time”. Let me put this into a situation for you. It is Christmas and the time of year when we are usually most generous with our time and money. There are multiple charities and other organizations that need volunteers but each year don’t have nearly enough to handle the need but most of us don’t have time. I am so guilty of this and I know one day I will have to answer for it. It is something I want to participate in so badly this year. I want to use the time that God has given me to help others and live as He would have it.
There is no doubt that the evil in the world is increasing day by day and along with it the darkness. It is up to us as the church to be the light so that those who are lost may find their way. We don’t know how much time they have left but we do know if they are lost then the precious moments are slipping away. The time of reckoning will come.
How happy will Jesus be with us if we spent our time He has given us guiding others to Him? I think it would be along the lines of “Well done, good and faithful servant”. That’s what I hope to hear when my time comes.
God be with you.

No comments:
Post a Comment